It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish. We’ve all heard that saying a million times. I believe that wholeheartedly, except when it comes to your diet, I would argue how you start is vitally important (if not more important than how you finish). Consider this a class in Healthy Breakfast 101, follow along and learn how to win the first meal of the day.
How America is loosing the fight for health at the breakfast table
did you know that Americans consume about 2.7 billion boxes of cereal per year! If you have your ruler out, that is enough cereal to stretch to the moon and back. You don’t want to know how much sugar that is, trust me. (but in case you can’t help but wonder)
Without going into extreme detail, I will make this bold statement.
“Cold Cereal is a cold killer”– Tyler Reavis
and here in the great U. S. of A, we eat far too much of it. Maybe it’s because we are lazy? Maybe, we can blame it on lack of education? Maybe, it’s Donald Trumps fault? (or Barrack Obama’s?) Or just maybe, it’s our own fault and it is time to start taking our health back one bite at a time. Healthy eating is as much of a habit as brushing your teeth. Here are 3 non killer, killer breakfast options that trump cold cereal every day of the week.
Healthy Breakfast Options to start the day of right
- Country boy breakfast (hearty and healthy) – 2 Eggs (140 calories) 1/2 cup of oats dry (150 calories) 1/2 avacado (160 calories) + 1/2 cup blueberries (the real sugar that is actually good for you – 40 calories). For extra flair add a tablespoon of some salsa, just be sure to watch the added sugars. (I use this in my current diet protocol)
- Gains for days (for the serious paleo freak) – Eggs aren’t the only thing on the breakfast menu. One of my favorite options for breaking my fast is a two punch combo consisting of one lean meat or chicken and 1 serving of nuts (cashew, almond, pistachio). An example would be 150grams of grilled chicken breast and 1 serving cashews. My personal favorite is leftover Brisket from the night before with cashews (call me crazy until you try it).
- Crazy Vegan – I thank God for meat and that’s all I have to say about that. Still, I believe we eat too much of it in general. One of my favorite non carnivore style options is an avocado and rice bowl with light salsa. Ingredients are 1/2 avocado, 1 cup long grain brown rice, and 1 tablespoon of salsa, this will knock your socks off if you’re an avocado fan.
How to Win Breakfast – what to do and stop doing.
My grandpa told me one time that half of life’s battle is figuring out what not to do. That couldn’t be more true when it comes to selecting healthy breakfast options. here are 5 rules for succeeding at the breakfast table…
- never eat cold cereal
- don’t go down the cold cereal isle
- Prep your meals ahead of time (yes even breakfast)
- Skip breakfast (gasp!!!) I implement and recommend IF at times
- burn your cold cereal
If you can do these things, and stay away from sugar in general, you can consider yourself way ahead of the game.
for those of you who need more convincing to give up the cold cereal for good…